Educate and entertain your audience
Meet your speaker
Joy Chen 陈愉
Joy Chen is the world-renowned leadership coach and author whom the Wall Street Journal calls "a Lean-In Guru" and the Los Angeles Times refers to simply as "The Networker."
She formerly served as a Deputy Mayor of Los Angeles and as an executive search consultant and coach for Fortune 500 companies across North America, Europe and Asia.
Now, she’s here to help your audience members to ace the corporate game.
Below are sample topics. Please contact Joy
if you’d like to discuss a customized
How to Smash the Asian American Glass Ceiling
Asian Americans are America's most educated group -- and the least likely to get promoted. Why? Globally renowned leadership coach Joy Chen – a former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor and former Fortune 500 executive search consultant – gives us an insider’s look at why the Asian American Glass Ceiling exists, how companies choose leaders, and what you can do right away to smash the glass ceiling hanging over your career.
You will learn:
- How companies really choose leaders (hint: it's not about the Ivy League, or how hard you work)
- How our Asian upbringing shapes our workplace behaviors -- and ultimate success or failure
- How stereotypes and unconscious bias impact your career
- What you can do now to smash the Asian American glass ceiling and lead a life of greater impact.
How to Grow Your Emotional Intelligence to Transform your Career and Life
As Asian Americans, we're often stereotyped as "smart, hard-working -- and lacking leadership skills." So, how exactly do companies choose leaders? World-renowned leadership coach Joy Chen – a former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor and former Fortune 500 executive search consultant – shows us why the #1 thing companies seek in a leader is “emotional intelligence.”
And she will show you step by step how we all can develop our emotional intelligence to transform. our careers and lives.
This can be a one-hour speech, or a half- or full-day workshop.
You will learn:
- The components of emotional intelligence and how it helps us lead with and through others
- How to become more aware of how your behavior is driven by your thoughts and feelings
- How to deeply understand others so that you can better connect, and get others to like, trust, support and follow you
Yes, You Can Become a Master at Networking
Everyone knows that to climb the corporate ladder, you need a strong professional network. But how do you develop a network without feeling fake, or worse, like you’re trying to use people? World-renowned leadership coach Joy Chen – a former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor and former Fortune 500 executive search consultant – explains how to recruit and motivate the mentors, sponsors, supporters and followers you need to power your career.
You will learn:
- Make small talk and really connect with anyone
- Be assertive without coming across as arrogant
- Leave every conversation with people feeling good about you
- Gain the mentors you need to move up
"On stage, celebrity Joy Chen is like a walking exclamation point. She speaks in rolling torrents and flashes a brillant white smile. Her poise and polish are hallmarks of her much vaunted sisterhood — call them the Alpha Females of China.
Today, a hushed audience of tens of thousands of white-collar women — all young, educated, urban and all in black pumps — are eagerly eating up every word of her feminista rallying cry. “We don’t want to survive in society,” she says. “We want to lead society.”
It’s a brazen decree with a lot of lofty ideals behind it. But with doe-eyed looks and a certain gal pal appeal, Chen is a modern-day Joan of Arc."